Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is the specialty of Surgery, which based on and starting from Dental Medicine, extends to the surgical pathology of the head and neck, being occupied with the diagnosis and the surgical management of diseases, injuries, and disorders concerning both functionally and esthetically the anatomical structures of the mouth, jaws, and the face.
Preventive, reconstructive,, but also the urgent surgical care of the structures of the mouth, the jaws, as well as the perioral and perignathic tissues of the face , the head, and the neck, constitutes the scope of an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
The spectrum of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery includes the following topics:
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Reconstructive preprosthetic surgery
- Orofacial-Cervicofacial infections
- Traumatology of the viscerocranium
- Orthognathic surgery
- Orofacial pain
- Surgical oncology of the oral and maxillofacial region
- Salivary gland diseases
- Aesthetic (cosmetic) oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Surgical management of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea
At the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Office of Dr Dr Anastassios I. Mylonas, as well as at the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, “Metropolitan” Hospital, where Dr Dr Anastassios I. Mylonas serves as an Assoc. Director, and also at “Eugenideio Hospital-The Holy Trinity SA”, where Dr Dr Anastassios I. Mylonas offers his services operating as an External Partner-Clinical Associate, operations covering the entire spectrum of the specialty are performed. Such operations include minor, moderate, and severe surgical interventions, either in the Private Practice or in the Outpatient Clinic under local anesthesia or intravenous sedation, as well as in the Operating Room under general anesthesia. In particular the spectrum of oral and maxillofacial surgical operations, which are performed accordingly, either in the Private Practice, or in the “Metropolitan” Hospital’s Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, but also at “Eugenideio Hospital-The Holy Trinity SA”, includes:
- Dentoalveolar surgery [surgical removal of impacted canines, premolars, molars (wisdom teeth), apicectomy of single rooted and multi-rooted teeth, surgical removal of cysts and odontogenic tumors of the jaws etc.],
- Reconstructive preprosthetic surgery [improvement of both the osseous infrastructure of the jaws, after harvesting and use of autologous and alloplastic osseous grafts, and the intraoral soft tissues], as well as the surgery of osseointegrated dental implants in ordinary and complicated cases [sinus lift, translocation of inferior alveolar nerve etc.],
- Management of orofacial and cervicofacial infections of odontogenic or not etiology,
- Traumatology of the viscerocranium [reduction and fixation of mandibular and maxillary fractures, orbital fractures, and fractures of the middle third of the facial skeleton in general, management of lacerations of the soft tissues of the face and neck],
- Orthognathic surgery, that is the surgical correction of deformities of the facial skeleton and the dentoalveolar complex [retrognathia, micrognathia, prognathism or macrognathia of both the mandible and maxilla, facial asymmetries etc.],
- Conservative and surgical management of orofacial pain, the various diseases and dysfunctions of the temporomandibular joints being the basic pathogenetic factor of it [osteoarthritis, dislocation or injury of the intra-articular disc, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosis, etc],
- Surgical oncology of the oral and maxillofacial region, integral part of head and neck oncology, focusing particularly on the management of oral cancer,
- Conservative and surgical management of salivary gland diseases [sialadenitis of lithiasic or microbial etiology, auto-immune diseases (i.e. Sjögren’s syndrome), sialolithiasis, benign and malignant tumors etc].
- ix) Esthetic (cosmetic) maxillofacial surgery, and
- x) Surgical management of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, jointly with other neighboring surgical specialties.
Fill in the contact form for any information or queries.